HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Now what? Out with the pies and champers and in with the shiny new gym membership and green tea smoothies with wheat grass & anti-oxidants. – Yeah right, and pigs fly!
Here are some no-nonsense new year beauty regimes you can at least attempt to do with little effort that doesn’t require signed any false promises to the hunky gym man or drinking vile grass-like liquids.
Up the anti with the whole SPF thing – Just make an effort to find products that say they contain it.
They all usually do but if you find yourself umm-ing and ahh-ing over two and one doesn’t have SPF protection & one has SPF protection, choose that one. – This is one the easiest ways to stop wrinkles and generally bad skin from occuring, yet people still don’t do it? Get savvy!
2. Take it off!
Your mum wasn’t being a nag when she used to say ‘scrub behind your ears!’ as you toddled off to bed when you were little… She was just being sensible.
– My point here is, don’t just take your makeup off every night (ALWAYS DO THIS!) – Start making sure that you get the areas that are easily missed – ie, under the chin, at the hair line, neck, ears and all the crevasses like the sides of your nose/under ears.
-Often break-outs are because you’ve just reapplied a product over old product that you missed… It may only seem like a little but every day application builds up a lot – stop the spots and get savvy!
The number beauty secret. It’s not rocket science; Hydration can only ever be good for your skin. Ever got back from a festival and seen your skin dry as a cornflake? That’s because the only water your body saw was the rain.
– Drink loads and loads of water and see the difference. At the office take a bottle in so you can keep filling it up, same goes for being at home. If there’s a few bottles of water spread around the place – you’ll be more likely to pick that up than trek to the kitchen for a glass of pop… #lazy
-Try one glass an hour [That will get you to your recommended 8 glasses of a day in no time]
-No likey? Add a spritz of lemon.
4. Exfoliation Station
How many of you really exfoliate? – Okay sometimes it may feel like a genuine work-out but this can only be killing two birds with one stone right?
Luminous skin is gorgeous! Why wouldn’t you want that? Not only does it scrub away dead skin cells, it stimulates blood circulation and increases oxygen and nutrients around the body. -That isn’t just scientific babble either. Start a new routine in your next shower.
– If you don’t have any exfoliator (come on get some it doesn’t cost the earth) – make your own! SEA SALT is a rough, coarse substance when mixed with a splash of oil, makes the perfect exfoliator. It doesn’t smell like a beautifully scented product – it’s odourless – but that’s what you get for making your own. Try it! It’s fab (and cheap as chips!)
5. Shampoo less often!
You said you wanted minimum effort? I’m giving you the go ahead to shampoo less! You can’t blame it on your hair’s personality either.. “But I have thin hair” “But my hair is too frizzy” – no, it’s nothing to do with what you’re hair-type is – it’s to do with your routine: Which you should change ASAP (unless you already do this then… you’re amaze!) –
– Wash your hair every OTHER day – not every day. At first, for the first 3 days of doing this, you might freak out a little – granted – but it’s nothing a little dry shampoo and a top-knot can’t solve..?! After that, washing your hair every other day will create healthier, stronger and fabulous hair. Do you know why? Because you’re not stripping your hair or scalp of its natural oils… Which is what you do if you wash it every day – thus, making it not the best it could be. If you’re reading this and are pretty-happy-with-your-hair-as-it-is-thank-you-very-much, imagine how much MORE amazing it could be, yup, that’s right!
-Dry Shampoo is your friend.
6. 2012/2013 is the era of nail art – right?
So if you’re going to be drawing attention to your prettily-painted-pinkies then you’ll probably want to avoid conversations like “ooh just ignore my split cuticles” and “woops sorry about the broken skin” – invest in some cuticle oil. It’s a lazy nail-addicts bezzie.
– Did you know that your cuticles are there to stop infections/germs/bad-stuff entering your body. If you think about it, they are like little seals of the body – so you need to keep them healthy, tight and sealed so no nasty stuff can get in! – Then you can instagram the hell outta them!
7. You are what you eat.
– This means, if you eat super-foods, you WILL be super. It’s true!
Ditch the greasy snacks – this is no good for your waist-line nor skin complexion. Even if you think you’re being healthy by swapping your McCoys to Quavers – you’re not. A handful of seeds & a bunch of strawberrys will be so much better. It just depends how serious you are about it….
8. Brush up on ‘yer brushes!
You may have noticed I’m a bit skin-complexion-obsessed at the moment – but it’s all for a reason!
It’s a basic rule but you just never know – some people have never even thought about it…. CLEAN YOUR BRUSHES.
– This should be done with surgical spirit every other day (it takes 5 minutes to dry because of the high alcohol) and with baby shampoo once a week (available from as little as 40p from Asda’s smart-price baby range).
Think about it… Day 1 – foundation, day 2 – foundation builds on day 1’s foundation, day 3 foundation builds on day 1 and day 2’s foundation – are you getting the picture?
9. Smile like you mean it (ah oooooh oooh)
Smiling is the easiest, free-est, beautiful-est way to improve your beauty/mood/impression/confidence.
Imagine a stranger catching your eye and you having a straight, expressionless face. Now, imagine catching a stranger’s eye and you give a little smile. Whether it’s a cute old lady that you just made her day with or the hot-guy-you-see-on-the-train-everyday – smiling will be a win-win situation.
Think you can stick to these?
Think of any extra ones?